Why Health & Safety standards are important when choosing your business premises Created on 22/01/2013 10:03:00
Whatever type of business you are running, health and safety at your business location should be one of your main priorities. Having the correct procedures in place will safeguard you, your staff and any visitors or clients that visit your business premises. It could also protect you from litigation should an accident or other incident occur in the workplace.
Protecting the health of your employees should involve:
- Providing good ventilation and keeping temperatures at safe levels
- Offering practical indoor and outdoor lighting
- Ensuring that there is enough space for people to move around freely
- Providing resources that promote healthy work practices, for example seating that supports the lower back
- Using an accident book to record any incidents that occur on the premises
When it comes to safety, it’s important to:
- Maintain equipment, devices and systems to avoid injury
- Ensure pedestrian walkways are clear and safe
- Check that windows and translucent surfaces in doors and partitions are made from safety materials
- Make sure that smoke alarms are fitted, maintained and regularly tested
- Explain fire safety procedures to all members of staff and visitors
When you are considering where to base your business, all the above factors need to be taken into account, and in some cases much of the headache can be taken off your shoulders in rented premises. Well-run business parks with office space to rent should already have excellent health and safety procedures in place. Langstone Technology Park, for example, which offers affordable office space in the Portsmouth area, takes all basic fire and safety considerations extremely seriously:
- Their offices are air conditioned and spacious, and every precaution is taken to ensure that staff members are safe and comfortable at all times. All employees have to undertake a rigorous induction before they gain access to the site to ensure they are fully aware of emergency, accident and safety protocol and procedures.
- The business and technology park provides 24-hour security, CCTV and a badge-access control system. It also has a clearly marked out, well lit car park and operates a traffic management system to ensure driver and pedestrian safety.
- The onsite Occupational Health Centre is staffed by qualified nurses and includes a First Aid station and emergency cover for common areas.
- Onsite maintenance staff work hard to ensure that the building, grounds and the internal offices are well maintained and that smoke alarms are fully functional. Systems are tested weekly and regular evacuation drills conducted to ensure all employees know what to do should the worst happen.
For more information on Langstone Technology Park office space to rent, call 0239 249 7000.