How to keep fit at the office Created on 28/02/2013 10:49:00
Recent statistics* indicate that two thirds of us do not do enough physical activity, increasing the risk of problems such as raised cholesterol and high blood pressure; whilst a quarter of adults are obese, and another third are overweight.
With everybody living such busy lives these days and so many of us sitting at a computer , or in the one place, all day, it is all too easy to blame workload for our lack of fitness. There are quite a few things you can do – even if you have a busy office job – to improve your fitness at work. Here are just a few suggestions:
- If your office complex has a gym nearby – or, better still, onsite - take advantage of it in the lunch hour or before/after work
- Join a local fitness group, such as a running or walking club and do the same
- Consider combining your journey into work with keeping fit – for example, could you cycle, or perhaps walk to work. Or, is there perhaps a section of your work journey, that you could walk as part of a new work fitness routine
- Try motivating yourself to do so by signing up to local fun runs, walks or other charity challenges
- Introduce little bits of exercise into your work routine. For example, go for a walk, or a run, in a break, rather than staying sitting at your desk. See whether you can do some pilates style exercises in your office chair.
- Get up and walk around the office now and again to stretch your legs and keep your spine mobilised
- Try and choose healthier snack options, like fruit and salad, instead of biscuits, cakes or crisps.
Some employers and workplace managers are taking the initiative and doing their bit to encourage us to keep fit at work. Langstone Technology Park, for example, which offers office space for rent in Hampshire
tries to create environments that encourage healthier lifestyles. Located onsite at this business location in Havant, there is a fully equipped 24 hour fitness centre available to tenants and their families. There is also a secure bike area, showers and changing facilities; and lockers to hire.
For more information on Langstone Technology Park’s options for flexible office space in Hampshire
, call 0239-249 7603.
*Source: BBC Online news