Have you given blood yet? Created on 15/05/2013 12:11:00
Donating blood is simple. It only takes an hour and can save lives. 96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood.
What blood is needed for
Today blood is usually separated into its individual components and its the red cells that are key. The main function of red blood cells is to distribute oxygen to body tissues and to carry waste carbon dioxide back to the lungs. They are used in the treatment of all kinds of anaemia which can't be medically corrected, such as when rheumatoid arthritis or cancer is involved, when red cells break down in the newborn and for sickle cell disease. They're also essential to replace lost red cells due to blood loss in accidents.
What is involved in giving blood
When you arrive to give blood, you'll be asked to read a number of leaflets and fill in a Donor Health Check (DHC) questionnaire and may have a confidential discussion with a nurse. All answers are treated in the strictest confidence.
A tiny drop of blood is taken from your fingertip. This allows us to check your haemoglobin levels and ensure that giving blood won't make you anaemic.
If all is well, you will be able to donate blood. You will donate about 470ml of blood - this amount of blood is quickly replaced by your body. Learn more about how the body replaces blood.
How long it takes
Once you have given blood, you should have a short rest before being given some refreshments usually a drink and biscuits. All in all giving blood shouldn't take more than an hour. All you have to do is to remember to have something to eat and drink before you give blood.
When you can't give blood
There are many reasons why, at times, you may not be able to give blood. To read more about why you may be unable to donate blood.
Langstone Technology Park, which offers a range of rental offices in Havant, has made it even easier for those who work there to give blood. Every three months, ‘Blood-Mobiles’ are set up in the car park and employees based at the site are encouraged to give. On average they collect 75 units each time – so thanks thanks to those who donate. The next session at Langstone Technology Park will be on 7th August 2013. To book your appointment contact 0300 123 23 23